Tuesday, September 2, 2014

John 1:1-5

Something I want to do on my blog is have this kind of post. A 'Weekly Bible Post'. In these, I will post about something I have read in my personal Bible time and write about some of the thoughts I had while reading it! I also have a Bible study I'm doing with my Handsome Gnome. We are going to go through Revelation! But that is another post for another day.

So!! This week I read John 1. The Gospel of John is possibly my favorite Gospel. Though, I do love Luke. And Matthew. And Mark...so...I love them all, I just really enjoy studying John!

Anyway, John 1:1-5. I'm using my ESV study Bible for this.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (ESV)

That first verse, looks a bit confusing, doesn't it? It seems like it is repeating itself. But this first verse is talking about Jesus.

You have to skip forward a little to see where John shows us that the Word named in this verse is really Jesus. Verse 14 says:
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." (ESV)

So.

Jesus is the Word. He is the Word brought to us that we are to live by. He is the Word we are supposed to follow. John goes on in the first verse to show how Jesus has been here forever.

Verse one states 'In the beginning was the Word,' meaning Jesus was at the beginning. The beginning of what? In the footnotes of my Bible, it explains that this verse is showing "Jesus' existence in eternity past with God." (ESV 2019) Meaning? Jesus has been since the beginning of time itself. Which is forever. Let that explode in your head for a moment...

Now, the verse follows to say that "the Word was with God". Okay, so Jesus has been with God since the beginning of time. BUT. This next part shows the deity of Jesus: "the Word was God". Jesus is God. God is Jesus. (Head explosion)

So basically, I think in these first three verses, John is explaining the deity of Christ.

In verses 2-3, John states again that Jesus was at the beginning with God. God, and Jesus, created the world, created us.

But verses 4-5 show the awesomeness of why Jesus was here.

"In him was life, and the life was the light of men, the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." ESV John 1:4-5

Life. Light. God's grace. "Life" in these verses, I believe, is talking about God's grace. Because we are dead in our sins, dead without His love and grace, like it says in Ephesians chapter 2. Jesus came down to earth to bring us life and shine through the darkness of sin. This is why I love these verses. They remind me of the grace I have been shown through Jesus!

So, these have been my thoughts on this reading. I hope y'all enjoy this as much as I do! Telling my thoughts on these things helps my walk with God, and I hope in sharing it, this helps your walk also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! So, feel free to comment whenever you so desire. :)